Monday, January 29, 2007

A Rose By Any Other Name...

I thought I had gotten used to things having strange names in Brazil and seeing confusing product names. We once lived in a city that had a stationary store called "Sniff". I talked to the owner and asked him why he named it that. He said he liked the way the word sounded.


I thought I had seen it all until Saturday when we stopped into our local Angeloni grocery store to pick up a few items. While Marilze was shopping, I just started wandering around, as I usually do, trying to find some decent junk food. I was walking by the frozen foods when I looked up and saw this can:


Sucky brand orange juice. I just start cracking up in the store. Who was the marketing genius who came up with this name? Did no one do any product research? Are they thinking of exporting it to the US?

To be fair, the word for juice is suco (pronounced soo-coe) and this product would be pronounced sookie but man, what a bad choice for a name.

When we lived in Goias there was an offbrand of Koolaid there called "Suks". I wished I had one of the packets but I only tried it once and the only thing I can say about it is at least they were honest about their product when they named it.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Olá, sou Brasileira mas também não pude deixar de rir bastante quando vi esse "sucky"... >.<
It sucks to be brazillian sometimes! LOL

Anonymous said...

Sorry for my bad english. Thank you so much for your good post. Your post helped me in my college assignment, If you can provide me more details please email me.