Monday, January 22, 2007

A Childhood Dream Come True

I grew up reading comics. Lots of comics. Thousands of comics. Most of them are stored in boxes in my sister's attic. As a kid I dreamed of a TV show that would show my heroes weekly. I guess I wasn't the only one.

I've watched just about every comic turned TV show or movie. Even the bad stuff. Thankfully in the last few years, it has mainly been good. Last week Smallville took a huge step forward to becoming one of the best.

Smallville is a huge hit here in Brazil. It is one of the most popular shows on television. I constantly have people ask me if there really is a city named Smallville in the US.

I've been watching Smallville from the beginning, all the while wishing they could get over the teen angst of Clark and Lana and move on to the Superman saga. They did even better than that last Thursday night.



Flash. Green Arrow. Aquaman. Cyborg. Superman. The Justice League.

Now I know what you're thinking. Why in the world would a 43 year-old man want to watch a show about superheroes? I wish I could think of something cool to say but I can't. These are simply the shows I wanted to watch when I was 12 but they didn't exist.

I guess I'm not alone since Heroes (my new favorite show this season) is a huge hit. I guess there are a lot of us out there who have dreamed of this kind of TV program only to have to settle for another version of Law and Order or CSI.

My thanks to NBC and CW for bringing us this type of programming. Please produce more. There are more than kids watching.

No comments: