Friday, January 12, 2007

Brazilian Home Cooking



One of the best things about living in Brazil is the food and last night, Miriam Soares, my business partner's wife, invited us over for some homemade caldo de feijão or bean stew.


Now I know that doesn't sound nearly as appetizing as white beans and cornbread from Wendall Smith's but let me tell you, this is some good eating. Miriam is from the centro-oeste or midwest region of Brazil where they are known for their cooking. And she is an excellent cook.


Miriam loaded her caldo down with linguiça (sliced sausages) and pork ribs and let it cook for several hours. She served it with chopped green onions, grated cheese, fresh bread and ample amounts of hot sauce.


It´s the morning after now and my digestive system is telling me that I am too old to eat like that at 11:00 PM. It was worth it. And I´ll probably do it again.

No comments: