Wednesday, February 7, 2007

The Storm Cometh

Since moving to the coast we have heard tales of terrible storms in this region. So far we haven't even seen much rain. Back in Goias we averaged 24 feet of rain over a six month period each year (that is correct, 24 feet). We hadn't seen much action until last night.


Yesterday was incredibly hot. Hotter than any place I have ever been in my life (and I've been near the equator). It was muggy and awful. A cool wind started blowing in from the south at about 6pm. Marilze decided to walk to the mall with kids. Good thing I stayed home.


A little before 7 it started to rain and the wind started blowing. I came upstairs to my office to check for water. The wind was blowing rain through cracks in the door jam. I started stuffing towels inside the door jam when the lights went off. I hurried to unplug everything. We've lost many appliances and electronics to energy spikes after the lights go off.


While I was unplugging the freezer, I heard a loud boom. I looked outside to see the roof of the apartment building across the street from our house, crash to the ground.





This is the best shot I could get of the roof but in these photos you can see the aftermath.





Here you can see broken roof tiles and part of the gutters.



There was a lot of damage around town as well. Several buildings had their signs destroys. We were without lights for 12 hours.

You can see more pictures of the damage on my Flickr site.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/westnashvillegringo

No comments: