Friday, March 30, 2007

Odd things you see traveling



Whenever I travel, I enjoy looking at the natural beauty of where I am but I also love the weird and odd things you find along the way. This house is definitely one of them. It is just a couple of blocks from Pr. Jorge's house and the owners saw fit to put some art on the roof.








The object on the right is a cuia or a hollowed out gourd. People from the south of Brazil, Uruguay and Argentina use these to drink chimarrão which is a steaming hot green tea also known at maté. They put no sugar in the tea and they drink it using a bomba or metal straw. The best are made of either silver or stainless steel.

Once filled a person will drink everything in the cuia and then refill it with hot water. He then passes it on to the next person. Everyone uses the same straw. It is highly cultural. I´ve been to shops and restaurants where the owner will off his for you to drink from.

When you travel to the south of Brazil you will see this everywhere you go but generally not on people´s roofs.

The object in the middle is a rooster. Can´t figure that one out.






Everywhere you go in Brazil you will find hamburger stands that are known as pitdogs. Don´t know why they call them that but most of the time the hamburgers are lousy. When we lived in Goias they would put peas, corn and potato sticks on your burger. I once asked for onions and they looked at me like I was an idiot.




Pitdogs in Brazil come in all shapes and sizes but this one is shaped like a giant Coke can. What´s really weird is that it is right in front of the house where I always stay in Passo Fundo and I´d never seen it before this trip.

Didn´t eat the burgers there so I have no idea if they are any good.




This is the most explainitory bathroom sign I have ever seen in my life. We stopped at a gas station in Lages, Santa Catarina on the way to Passo Fundo. I saw this and didn´t think to take a picture. On the way home we stopped there again and this time I was prepared.

The sign says: "Don´t urinate on the floor - Throw toilet paper in the trash (Brazilian plumbing doesn´t allow us to put paper in the toilet) - Flush after use - Maintain this bathroom clean"

No comments: